This tutorial explains how to configure your WHM account so that users can receive push notifications for iOS mail. We introduced this feature in cPanel & WHM version 64. When users enable push notifications, they will receive updates when they receive a new messages in their Inbox.
You must export the Mail Apple Push Notification service (APNs) key, and then install the key on your WHM server to enable push notifications.
Receive push notifications for iOS mail
To create the key, perform the following steps:
- Open the App Store application (app) via Finder ( Applications >> App Store ). You can also press
Command + Space Barthen search for App Store .
- Ensure that you sign in.
- Search for macOS Server .
- Click the macOS Server icon, then click $19.99 ( ), then click Buy App ( ).
- Sign in, if necessary, then click Open ( ).
- Select This Mac from the Choose A Mac menu, then click Continue and then sign in if necessary.
- Select the Apple Push Notifications (APN) checkbox from the Settings menu.
- Enter your credentials.
Export key information
To export the key, perform the following steps:
- Open the Keychain Access app via Finder (Applications >> Utilities >> Keychain Access). You can also press
Command + Space Barthen search for Keychain Access.
- Select System from the Keychains menu and Keys from the Category menu.
+left click (or right-click) the
com.apple.servermgrd.apns.mailkey ( ) or certificate bundle ( ).
Select Export "
com.apple.servermgrd.apns.mail" … and then click Save to save it to your desired location.
- You may need to enter your user credentials.
- We strongly recommend that you password protect this file because it contains sensitive information.
Install the key
To install the key on WHM, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to WHM's Manage Service SSL Certificates interface (Home » Service Configuration » Manage Service SSL Certificates).
- Select the iOS Mail Push Notifications tab.
- Click Upload PKCS #12 archive.
Select your file.
If you password protected your file, enter your password in the Input the password for the PKCS #12 archive: text box.
- Click Install.
Prepare device configuration
To ensure that the device itself is ready to receive push notifications you must restart the Mail app. To restart the Mail app, perform the following steps:
Open the Mail app on your iOS device.
Double-click the Home button.
Swipe up to close the Mail app.
In the Mail app, swipe down (to perform a manual fetch).
If the above steps do not successfully initiate push notifications, you may need to restart your device.
For more information about how to close an app, read Apple's Force an app to close documentation.
Lock screen notifications
To add preferred contacts to VIP to enable lock screen notifications, perform the following steps:
Open the Mail app.
Tap Mailboxes () in the top left corner.
- Tap the information ( ) symbol from the VIP menu.
- Tap Add VIP….
- Select the contacts you wish to add to lock screen notifications.
You must open TCP outbound traffic for port
2195 if your firewall restricts this port.
Specific attributes of this tutorial may vary with future versions. We used the following versions to capture this document's screenshots:
|Program or Operating System||Version|
|OS X El Captain||10.11.6|
There is no content with the specified labels