(WHM >> Home >> Networking Setup >> Change Hostname)
The Internet uses your hostname as a label by which to identify your physical server. This interface allows you to change your server's hostname.
- Do not select a hostname that begins with
wwwor a number, or a hostname that ends with a hyphen (
- You must use a fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) that uniquely identifies the server (for example,
- Do not choose a hostname that a cPanel account on your server will use.
- Do not choose a potential proxy subdomain as a hostname (for example,
- Do not select a socially-unacceptable hostname. The hostname will appear in mail headers.
- Only use lowercase, Latin-script letters in hostnames.
How to change your hostname
If you update your hostname, the system blocks user access to the following interfaces and services:
- Horde Webmail
- Calendars and Contacts (CalDAV and CardDAV)
The system restores access to these interfaces and services after the hostname update finishes. For more information, read our Interface Lock Scripts documentation.
- Whenever you change the server's hostname, you must use one of the following methods to ensure that all of the necessary system and service changes occur:
- If your cPanel & WHM server uses a cloud-based hosting provider, read our Cloud-Hosted Hostname Solution documentation.
To change your hostname, perform the following steps:
Enter the new hostname into the New Hostname text box.
Remember:You must use a fully-qualified domain name as your new hostname. Your new hostname should also resolve to the server's main IP address.
- Click Change. A popup window will appear that confirms the hostname change is in progress.
- After the system changes your hostname, scroll to the bottom of the interface and click Add An A Entry for your hostname . WHM's Add an A Entry for Your Hostname interface (WHM >> Home >> DNS Functions >> Add an A Entry for Your Hostname).
- Review the information about your server and, if it is correct, click Add Entry.
The system will automatically configure the new hostname and add the correct A entry.
- When you change your hostname, the system preserves the old hostname until you reboot the server so that currently-running services can function in a consistent environment.
- If you must change your hostname for non-cPanel configuration files or services, these services continue to function until you manually adjust them.
- If you use External Authentication, you must update the Redirection URI settings in the configuration settings at the external authentication provider's site to reflect the new hostname.
There is no content with the specified labels