For cPanel & WHM 11.46
(Home >> Networking Setup >> Change Hostname)
This feature allows you to change your server's hostname.
The Internet uses your hostname as a label by which to identify your physical server.
- Do not select a hostname that begins with
wwwor a number, or that ends with a hyphen (
- The hostname must be a fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) that contains two periods (for example,
- Do not choose a hostname that that a cPanel account on your server will use.
- Do not select a socially-unacceptable hostname. The hostname will appear in mail headers.
- Only use lowercase, Latin-script letters in hostnames.
The system displays your current hostname under Current Hostname.
How to change your hostname
To change your hostname, perform the following steps:
Enter the new hostname into the New Hostname text box.
Remember:Your new hostname must be an FQDN, must be registered, and must follow the instructions dictated under the Instructions heading.
- Click Change. A popup window will appear that prompts you to add an A entry.
- Click Add An A Entry for your hostname.
- Review the information about your server and, if it is correct, click Add Entry. The system will automatically configure and add the A entry.
- When you change your hostname, the system preserves the old hostname so that currently running services can function in a consistent environment until you reboot the server.
- If you must change your hostname for non-cPanel configuration files or services, these services will continue to function until you manually adjust them.