For cPanel & WHM 11.46
(Home >> Mail >> Auto Responders)
This feature allows you to configure automatic email response messages. This is useful when the recipient is unavailable.
When an auto responder is active, emails that the mailbox receives still go to the inbox as usual.
Current Auto Responders
To view the auto responders for a specific domain on your account, select the desired domain from the Managing menu on the top right side of the Auto Responders interface. A list of the auto responders will appear in the table below.
To quickly find a specific email address of an auto responder, enter a keyword in the Search text box and click Go.
User-defined autoresponders ignore messages that have a Apache SpamAssassin score of 5 or higher.
Add or Edit an Auto Responder
To add an auto responder, perform the following steps:
- Select the domain for which you wish to add or edit an auto responder from the Managing menu.
- Choose one of the following actions:
- If you wish to create a new auto responder, click Add Auto Responder.
- If you wish to edit an auto responder, click Edit next to the auto responder that you wish to edit.
Select a character set from the Character Set menu.
UTF-8 is the dominant character set that most internet users encounter, and it is the default value that cPanel selects. We highly encourage users to use UTF-8.
- Enter the interval, in hours, that you wish for the auto responder to wait between responses to the same email address.
For example, if you set up an auto responder with an interval of
24and you receive an email from
firstname.lastname@example.org 8:00 AM on Monday, the auto responder will respond to his message immediately. If, however,
email@example.com you again within the interval period, the auto responder will not send him a response. If he emails you again after the 24-hour interval expires, the system will send him an auto response.
NoteIf you set the interval to 0, cPanel sends an auto response to each email.
- In the Email text box, enter the email address for which you wish the server to respond.
- In the From text box, enter the username that will appear in the response.
- In the Subject text box, enter the subject that will appear in the response.
- If the message includes HTML tags, select the HTML checkbox.
In the Body text box, enter the text of the response.
You can use tags in the body of the message to represent information, such as the incoming email's sender or subject. Tags use percentage signs (%) as markers.
Available tags are:
%subject%— The subject of the message that was sent to the auto responder.
%from%— The name of the sender of the message that the auto responder received. (If the sender's name was not in the original email's header,
%from%will print the sender's email address.)
%email%— The sender's email address.
- Select a start time. You can choose Immediately or Custom.
If you select Custom, a small calendar will appear. Use the arrows to navigate between months and click your preferred start date. Then, enter a start time at the bottom of the calendar, and include AM or PM from the menu. Finally, click anywhere outside of the calendar box to save the configuration and close the calendar. Your chosen date and time will appear next to the Start option.
- The time is based on the user's workstation operating system time and the system translates it into GMT. If the workstation time is wrong, the time on the calendar will be proportionately wrong.
- This feature uses 12-hour notation and will reformat times in 24-hour notation. For example, if you select
18:30as the start time, cPanel will automatically reformat the time to be
- Select a stop time. You can choose Never or Custom.
If you select Custom, a small calendar will appear. Use the arrows to navigate between months and click your preferred date. Then, enter a time at the bottom of the calendar and select AM or PM from the menu. Finally, click anywhere outside of the calendar box to save the configuration and close the calendar.
NoteYou must select a stop time that is later than the start time.
- Click Create/Modify to save the auto responder.
Remove an Auto Responder
To delete an auto responder, perform the following steps:
- Click Delete next to the auto responder that you wish to delete.
- Click Delete Autoresponder to confirm that the you wish to delete the auto responder.