MySQL does not natively allow you to rename a database. When cPanel & WHM "renames" a database, the system performs the following steps:
- The system creates a new database.
- The system moves data from the old database to the new database.
- The system recreates grants and stored code in the new database.
- The system deletes the old database and its grants.
- If any of the first three steps fail, the system will return an error and attempt to restore the database's original state. If the restoration process fails, the API call’s error response will also describe these additional failures.
- In rare cases, the system creates the second database successfully, but fails to delete the old database or grants. The system treats this as a success; however, the API call will return warnings that describe the failure to delete the old database or grants.