For cPanel & WHM 11.40
(Home >> SSL/TLS >> Purchase and Install an SSL Certificate)
OverviewWHM’s Purchase and Install an SSL Certificate interface allows you to purchase a Trustwave® SSL certificate directly from the WHM interface.
Currently, Trustwave is the only certificate authority from which you can purchase an SSL certificate within WHM's interface.
In order to use the SSL protocol, you must have either an SNI-enabled server or a dedicated (unshared) IP address.
Purchase a certificate
These steps only install a temporary self-signed SSL certificate. To complete the process, follow the instructions in the sections below.
The following steps describe how to purchase a Trustwave-signed certificate and install a self-signed certificate. After you complete the following steps, Trustwave generates and sends you a Trustwave-signed certificate via email.
To purchase a certificate, perform the following steps:
- Click Click here to purchase from Trustwave.
- Enter the requested contact information and click Continue.
- WHM will display the private key and certificate signing request (CSR).
- Copy and paste the key and CSR into a safe, private file and click Continue.
- Enter the requested payment information and click Pay.
- On the following interface, click Continue if Trustwave approved your order.
- On the Process SSL Certificate Request interface, click Install Certificate. This will open WHM's Install an SSL Certificate on a Domain interface (Home >> SSL/TLS >> Install an SSL Certificate on the Domain).
Enter the domain for which Trustwave issued the certificate in the Domain text box and click Submit.
- The system automatically populates the rest of the text boxes with the required data when you enter the domain.
- If the text boxes do not automatically populate with the certificate and key, double check your domain, user, and IP address entries or click the appropriate Fetch buttons.
Authenticate your domain with Trustwave
You must authenticate your domain before you can receive your Trustwave-signed certificate. Trustwave will send you an email with authentication instructions, and you must reply to this email with the appropriate information.
To authenticate your domain with Trustwave, perform the following steps:
Create a file called
cert.htmlin a publicly accessible directory for the domain which you wish to protect with the SSL certificate.
cert.htmlfile must contain the following phrase:
- Reply to the email with the location of the
cert.htmlfile. For example,
After you authenticate your domain, Trustwave generates a signed-certificate and sends it to you at the email address that you specified.
Install the Trustwave-signed certificate
After you authenticate your domain, Trustwave will send you a verified, third-party signed certificate to install for your domain. When you receive the new certificate from Trustwave, change the SSL certificate for the domain with WHM's Install an SSL Certificate on a Domain interface (Home >> SSL/TLS >> Install an SSL Certificate on the Domain).
- If you lose site data and need to restore your site from a backup, the system stores your Trustwave authentication data in the
- If you need additional assistance, call Trustwave customer service at 1-866-775-2378.
Renew a certificate
To renew a Trustwave certificate through WHM, follow the steps in the Purchase a certificate section and replace the old certificate.
In most cases, you will not need to generate a new private key or CSR. Those are available through WHM's SSL Storage Manager interface (Home >> SSL/TLS >> SSL Storage Manager).
We currently do not offer auto-renewal of Trustwave certificates that you purchase through WHM.