For cPanel & WHM 11.40
(Home >> SSL/TLS >> Generate an SSL Certificate and Signing Request)
You can use this feature to simultaneously generate both a self-signed SSL certificate and a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for a domain. You can also generate a private key with this feature, which is essential for self-signed certificates and purchased certificates.
If you wish to purchase a certificate, you will need to submit the CSR to your chosen certificate authority. They will provide you with a certificate, typically in a zip file sent through email.
For more information, read our Purchase and Install an SSL Certificate documentation.
To receive the SSL certificate, private key, and CSR in an email, enter an email address in the Email Address text box.
Do not email the private key if your email service provider does not support secure mail via SSL/TL
Private Key Options
Select the key size from the menu. We recommend that you choose
To generate an SSL certificate and CSR:
- In the Domains field, enter the domain name of the website that the certificate will secure.
- To learn about how to share SSL certificates, read our Manage SSL Hosts documentation.
- In the City field, enter the complete name of the city in which your servers are located.
- In the State field, enter the complete name of the state in which your servers are located.
- In the Country field, select the country of origin for the certificate.
In the Company Name field, enter the complete name of your business.
Some certificate authorities may not accept special characters in the Company and Company Division field. If your company name includes symbols other than a period or a comma, check with your certificate authority to confirm that they are acceptable.
- In the Company Division section, enter the name of the department or group within the company. This is optional.
- In the Email field, enter a secure email address where you can be contacted to verify domain ownership.
Enter a Passphrase In the Passphrase field, if your certificate authority requires one for verification purposes.
After you have entered the correct information, click Create.
After the certificates have been created, WHM will display the CSR with its SSL certificate and private key. Copy and paste these items into the correct directories.
- If you provided an email address, this information will be sent to that email address.
If you purchased an SSL certificate, provide the CSR to the company from which you purchased the the SSL certificate.